Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The $25 Sofa

Greetings!  It has been a couple of days since I made a post but I have been fighting a sinus infection.  I feel so much better today but that could change once I tackle my next job.

My 23 year-old daughter recently relocated to Austin, Texas.  She started her first "big girl" job and will move into an apartment next month.  I am in the process of updating some furniture for her new (very small) place.

She has requested all items be refinished in a Jacobean stain, as she really likes the look of the darker, richer tones.  She also loves anything "Audrey" and "French".

I have picked up several pieces over the course of the past several months:  a dresser, a vanity, a bistro table and chairs.... and NOW the sofa.

I think I paid $20 for the dresser; $40 for the vanity, and she purchased the bistro set for about $75.  I am not going to re-do the bistro set at this time as it is already dark and appears to be in pretty good shape.

We have stripped the dresser and started the staining process; have started stripping the vanity but it has a lot of nooks and crannies and had a layer of white paint over a layer of pink paint and has become a HUGE undertaking.

NOW the sofa.  I spotted an antique, French Provincial sofa on Craigslist for $25.  It looked pretty rough but the bones appeared to look pretty good in the picture.  However, when I arrived to pick it up, I discovered it had been stored outdoors, under a tarp.  The tarp had not done much to protect the fabric and cushions but I decided to get it anyway... It was only $25, right?!

I got it home last night and took the following pictures, before deciding to begin tearing off the dry-rotted fabric.

I hope the next pictures will be of a beautiful sofa; of course, I will try to take pictures of the re-do process..  Oh, did  mention that I have NEVER reupholstered ANYTHING in my life?

Wish me luck!









2 comments:

  1. Well, if anybody can do it, YOU CAN!!! Keep the pictures coming... will watch for progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the vote of confidence! I need all I can get. LOL I will post more pictures tonight or tomorrow. Be sure to subscribe so you can get the updates. Soooo excited!

      Delete